Monday, March 26, 2012

Musing Mondays

Musing Mondays is a meme hosted by Should Be Reading.

This week's musing asks:  
Have you ever found a book out of the blue, read it, and then had it be surprisingly good — one that stuck with you for years? If so, what book was it?

image from goodreads.com
Yes, I have! It was Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

I was about 15 when I discovered this book during a random trip to Borders with my best friend. She and I were immersed in browsing the shelves, not really looking for anything in particular, and then I found Speak. I'd never heard of it before and I wasn't familiar with Anderson either. 

I picked up the book, read the first few pages, and just decided to buy it. I was intrigued and I just wanted to read more. And I really liked it a lot! 

It was well-written and complex. I devoured page after page wanting to know more about Melinda. At 15, I think I also saw a little of myself in her. We were growing up, we were a little confused, and there were things we wanted to say but just couldn't.

To this day, it was the best impromptu book purchase.

Have you read Speak? What did you think of it? 

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT. I also want to know your answer to this Musings Monday. Thanks! 

Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...