Thursday, July 17, 2014

Review: City of the Sun by Juliana Maio


Title: City of the Sun 
Author: Juliana Maio 
Genre: Historical Fiction 
Format/Length: ebook, 380 pages
Publisher: Greenleaf Book Group Press 
Publication Date: March 9, 2014 
Where did I get my copy: Netgalley.com Thank you, Greenleaf Book Group Press! 
Learn more about it on Goodreads 
Now available on Amazon


Synopsis: (From Goodreads.com) CAIRO, EGYPT 1941. As the Second World War rages, the city known as “Paris on the Nile” plays host to an international set who seem more interested in polo matches and swanky nightclubs than the Germans’ unrelenting advance across North Africa. Meanwhile, as refugees, soldiers, and spies stream into the city, the Nazis conspire with the emerging Muslim Brotherhood to fuel the Egyptian people’s seething resentment against their British overlords. 


My Review:  
There a lot of books about World War II. There are a lot of books about love, even about spies, and about Egypt. But I've never read a novel that had all of these together. I was excited about getting a copy of this book and 
I enjoyed it. 

Juliana Maio successfully put together a novel that is wonderful as a whole. All the little parts fit well, there is continuity, the dialogues are seamless, the descriptions are beautiful, and the mystery was interesting.


The historical details in this book is really impressive. The names, places, and events were aplenty. I enjoyed all that information. As a fan of historical fiction, I appreciate all of that hard work. 

I feel like I learned a little more about Egypt in WWII from reading this book. I enjoyed reading about this time in history in a setting outside of USA or Europe. 


The beauty of the Egypt, the glamorous part of the times - the style, the fashion, different lifestyles, it was all perfectly conveyed. It was easy to feel transported by Maio's words. 


Beautiful imagery and passionate writing aside, I think the story seemed weak towards the end. I thought what should have been the climax of the story fell flat. I didn't think it was exciting. It felt rushed. 


Even though it tied up the story just fine, I think it could have been better. All the build up; the tension and the intrigue deserved a heart pounding conclusion. 

City of the Sun is a beautiful debut novel. It has history, romance, and mystery. Maio seamlessly puts together a plot that kept me very engaged. I strongly recommend this novel to lovers of historical fiction. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...